We upgraded our Comcast cable box to a DVR. It’s magical. Tonight we were watching Jeopardy. Alex read a question, and suddenly Kevin paused the show to give us more time to think of the answer (cheater!). I looked at him, shocked. He then pushed a button and the show resumed. He did this several times. I asked what happens to the time? Will the DVR’d pauses catch up with the live show? And when that happens, does time in the universe stop? Can two versions of the same show co-exist at the same moment? Aren’t there rules about time travel, where you can’t visit your past or future self or both will implode?
I was just getting used to “On Demand” and how easy it is to set the DVR to record a series (did it for “Flash Forward” and “Fringe” tonight), but this pausing and playing of live TV freaks me out.
Kevin researched it and said the DVR automatically starts recording a show as soon as you switch to a channel. But I still don’t get it. It’s like electricity; I know it’s there, but how does it come out of the outlets? When I was little, my dad told me never to touch the holes in the outlets or a bug would bite me. I think I did, anyway, and something certainly hurt when I did it.
Using a dvr to watch tv is like living in the past, present and future. Way beyond my fifth grade math level. Our Kevin manipulates time when recording a show by letting about twenty minutes elapse before starting to watch and then zaps through the commercials and finishes in real time.
ReplyDeleteFunny, I use that feature as much as I breathe now (pausing and replaying live tv) - I remember when I first saw it done at Sarah and Aaron's at the Branvold's and it blew my mind, just like Andrea with the GPS. Do we realize we ARE the Jetsons?
ReplyDelete