A late night radio host was discussing “Shadow People.” This website explains, “Shadow people are paranormal shadow-like creatures that people usually see in their peripheral vision. Reports suggest that they do not appear to reflect light and that their appearance is essentially a silhouette in black.”
This brought back a frightening nighttime childhood memory. I was probably eight years old or younger. I was on the bottom bunk of a bunk bed or trundle bed, playing with my stuffed animals; a panda bear and a lion. I had a flashlight to spotlight the show I was producing, with the animals as the stars.
Suddenly, a black hand appeared at the side of the bed. It was a solid black shadow. The hand slowly rose up to about mid-forearm length, formed a fist, opened back up, and slowly sunk back down out of sight. I was terrified. I don’t remember what I did after that frightening vision. I’m pretty sure I stayed in bed, too scared to get out and get help.
The next day, I told my brother, Greg, what I had seen. Sometime later, he told me he saw The Black Hand appear by his bed.
For years, I was afraid of seeing The Black Hand again. I wouldn’t look at the side of my bed at night. I especially wouldn’t let my hand or leg extend past the edge of the bed, out into Black Hand territory. (I’m sort of still scared to do that)!
Seeing The Black Hand was probably some sort of dream I had after playing with the stuffed animals and flashlight, but it was very real and very vivid. Actually still is.
What scares you in the dark of the night?
There was a time when I was a little girl that I believed the devil lived under my bed waiting to grab me by the leg during the middle of the night. I remember jumping to my sister's bed and then out the door to avoid being dragged into the unknown. After that, I always remembered to say my prayers before I went to sleep.
ReplyDeleteMemorized prayers! My mother taught me the traditional "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I did before I wake..." What kind of prayer is that to teach to a child!
ReplyDeleteSigh... Stacey