Friday, February 12, 2010

You, Too, May Be a Winner

Our town is rural enough to still have a Kmart, though it’s called a Super Kmart for some reason. Last month I signed up for their “Shop Your Way Rewards Program.” I have a card that I show when I make a purchase and I earn 1% back.

Yesterday I made a purchase of Slim Fast Bars (for Larry, now down 36 pounds) and as my purchase was rung, a red light by the register with the word “K’Ching” on it started flashing. What was happening? The expressionless cashier told me in a flat voice, “You’ve won a prize.”

I tried to act nonchalant, but my mind was screaming, “Wow! I won a prize?! What is it? What is it! A TV? A stereo? Cash? I didn’t know I could win a prize!”

I scanned the store, looking for cameras, and confetti falling from the ceiling, expecting everyone in the store to notice. But there was silence. What did I win? I had to wait for the receipt and the prize coupon to print out to get my answer.



“You’ve won a liter bottle of purified American Faire Water,” the cashier told me. “The value is a dollar. Would you like me to get that for you now?” Her expression didn’t change and she made no comment or apology for the “prize.”

Following her lead, I told her I would like that prized bottle of water now. I took it home with the Slim Fast Bars, shaking my head with a sardonic* half smile on my face.

*Sarcastic means "derisive, tauntingly contemptuous," while sardonic means "bitterly scornful, cynically disdainful." Both pretty much fit the way I felt.




2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on joining the blog generation. When you win something you expect to get more than a drink of water. Thanks for the definition of sardonic. I thought it was a small fish that comes in a can. Couldn't figure out how that applied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too live in a town with a "Super Kmart. I don't shop there often as the checkout is sooooo slow. At my age, I would like to win a chair to use in line! Great blog....love it!

    ReplyDelete