Saturday, March 27, 2010

24 Has “Jumped the Shark”

My son, Kevin, and I have been loyal fans of the TV series, 24. After watching the episode two weeks ago, Kevin looked at me and said, “I don’t think I want to watch anymore.” I looked at him, incredulous. What did he mean, not watch anymore? Kevin said, “It’s just not good. Jack is getting too old and it’s all moving too slow.”

I was still a bit shocked, then I realized I agreed with him. It wasn’t riveting television anymore. But I wasn’t ready to give up on it yet. Kev and I agreed to watch another episode and hang in there.

Last week’s episode (March 22nd) finally did us both in. I’ve had to accept that Jack can fully function after being stabbed, shot and tortured by electrocution. But at the very end of the episode, out of the blue, the blonde woman from Battlestar Galactica (whatever her character’s name is) took a cell phone call from one of the terrorists. She’s working with the terrorists? Come on! Are you kidding me?

image I looked at Kevin and said, “Well, 24 has just jumped the shark.” We are both done with it and I’m sad to say good bye.

We aren’t the only ones, apparently. I heard on ABC’s national news that Fox will not be renewing 24. This season will end in May, then that’s it. Sigh. It was a good ride while it lasted.

(Why do I have a picture of Fonzie instead of Jack Bauer? Read this from Wikipedia: “Jumping the shark is an idiom used to describe the moment of downturn for a previously successful enterprise. The phrase was originally used to denote the point in a television program's history where the plot spins off into absurd story lines or unlikely characterizations…”

“The phrase jump the shark refers to the climactic scene in "Hollywood", a three-part episode opening the fifth season of the American TV series Happy Days in September 1977. In this story, the series' central characters visit Los Angeles, where Fonzie (Henry Winkler), wearing swim trunks and his trademark leather jacket, jumps over a confined shark on water skis, answering a challenge to demonstrate his bravery.”)

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! What other shows do you like to watch? I love "House," although I can only see the re-runs while I'm working. I like to watch "People's Court" before I go to work in the afternoon. It's not the usual reality show crap (I hate reality shows!), or Judge Judy scolding the litigants. Judge Marilyn Milian explains judicial practices. -- Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Mom blogs. They are very you, the Moms I love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW. Dana working for the terrorists was just too much for me.
    And Agent Walker saving Jack out of nowhere? Please.
    But I still watch, and will till the end.
    So sad this is the final season.

    ReplyDelete