I fear becoming like my mom. Not the sweet, kind, caring part. The dementia part. Oh, and the thinning hair part (oops, too late!)
Mom started showing signs of short-term memory loss in her mid-sixties. I remember one of the signs was she’d repeat the same story in our phone conversations without realizing it. Gradually over the years she’d just listen on an extension as Dad and I talked. Then she stopped getting on the phone at all.
When cooking dinner last night, I reached toward the burner knobs and blanked. Suddenly I couldn’t remember which knob went to which burner. The confusion frightened me. I’ve been using this same stove since we moved to Los Banos eleven years ago. I looked at the knobs, which have a little diagram of which burner it controls, but I still couldn’t tell if it was the front or back burner. I calmed myself, looked at the dials again, and turned the knob. This all took only maybe thirty seconds.
I tend to take things to the extreme. My sisters and I made a pact to tell each other if we saw any indications any of us were showing signs of dementia. (Sisters, have you forgotten?!) Should I make a note on my calendar? No, I’ll record the moment in my blog.
(I'm surprised how clean the oven knobs look in the photo. Um, I mean...of COURSE my oven top is very clean!)

Hey- don't worry about the dementia. I think paranoia sets in when anything is forgotten or we draw a blank. I've been forgetful all my life. I have a terrible time with names, misplace things,even forget where I'm going, tough time focusing. I don't think its' a form of dementia. I think it's A.D.D.
ReplyDeleteGreg
But Megan has told me she's going to dress me up in funny hats when I'm senile!
ReplyDeleteI forget a lot, but not our pact! Tell Megan that when more hair falls out the funny hats start to look good to you. I passed my mid-sixties and still remember where I live! Yea!!!
ReplyDeleteKay
I do admit, I have to retell you stories sometimes.
ReplyDelete