Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Teeth and Tires

Today I learned my teeth and our car tires are similar. Both have expensive hidden defects.

Ten days ago the side of one of my molars with a huge “silver” filling cracked off. This is the fifth time over the last twelve years a tooth has broken like this. I have silver fillings in most of my molars from when I was a kid. Eventually these fillings expand and sheer off sides of teeth. I consider it very unfair to have to have the same tooth repaired twice.

I went to a new dentist today. My former dentist didn’t seem willing to find an anesthetic that wouldn’t cause my heart to race, my chest to hurt, and make me feel sweaty and like I was going to explode from the inside out. He also didn’t try hard to find the source of pain from one of the crowns he put in. He took an x-ray, said it looked normal and called it a day.

My new dentist was great, very caring, very knowledgeable, and respectful. The good news, no anesthesia today, so no sickness. The bad news, I have to see an endodontist (root canal specialist) for a consultation. Not just on the broken tooth, but on SIX teeth. My new dentist showed me where there is decay under fillings with nerves close by, and thinks the crowned tooth may be developing an abscess.

Dental X-rays 001                     (Today’s x-rays. Too much information)?

I take good care of my teeth; exams and cleanings twice a year, and get fillings when cavities develop. My new dentist said the work I’ve had done was more like patching, rather than being a clean job.

So now what do I do? Do I complain about the dentist who did the shoddy work? I like the man and he’s been treating my whole family for ten years, but now I don’t trust him. Is it possible the new dentist is just picky?

As for the tires; our car has been shaking when we drive. Our auto repair guy told Larry to get new tires before he looks for other problems. He showed Larry where there are bumps under the surface and metal showing in a few places, all signs of tire separation. We hadn’t noticed them, but they were there. An accident waiting to happen.

Thank goodness for credit cards. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment